Re: [tlug] The Android Has Landed

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: [tlug] The Android Has Landed
From: Shawn Brown <big.coffee.lover@example.com>
To: Tokyo Linux Users Group <tlug@example.com>
Date: Sat Jul 11 2009 07:33:30 GMT+0900 (JST)
I'm currently thinking about grabbing an Android or an iPhone. I'm not
sure yet which one to pick, but I feel like getting more and more
dragged into the Linux side of the former one :)

Is GPS important to you -- for instance, would you want to track a
child?  If so, you may want to NOT use softbank.  Apparently  GPS
satellites (of all providers) shift to reposition themselves
occasionally.  During that time, the GPS information will not be
accurate.  Unfortunately, Softbank does not display a warning on the
screen that the information at that time may not be accurate.

This happened to a friend who was tracking their child and alarmed
when their child went out of the boundary they had set up and so the
parent received notification, was alarmed and thought their child had
been kidnapped because the child was not going the direction they
should be.  They then called the child, found out the story and
inquired to Softbank as to why.  I've heard Docomo and AU disclose
that the GPS info may be wrong but don't know from experience.

Shawn

Thanks. I will need GPS for sure, but I have no children yet, so my GPS usage scenario is not that critical :)
--
Best regards,
Alexei A. Anisimov