Re: [tlug] what CMS would you recommend for FB type website?

Drupal may not be the easiest route but it's a stable CMS with a very active community.

I'd prefer to work with the standard LAMP tools as I don't know
Ajax or anything about Ruby/Rails.

Drupal's target platform is LAMP.

For features I'd like to have users know when other users are on,

"Who's online" is included by default.

  as well as possibly throw together a quick
chatroom which supports more than one user and automatically integrates
with the initial user login.

There are many Drupal chat modules to choose from depending on your needs.

Finally, I'd like it allow users to post
articles and media etc. with relative ease- limit the PEBKAC factor if
you know what I mean.

Drupal has many input modules with features like bbcode and wysywig as well as a blog API for posting via desktop client.

If you want to really customize a Drupal instance for social networking, there are entire books devoted to just that.
http://www.packtpub.com/build-social-networking-website-with-drupal-6/book

Kyle