Re: [tlug] First Android Phone in Japan release date announced

> And what is "jailbreaking disabled"? This last one catches my interest.
> I'm only vaguely familiar with "jailbreaking" from having heard it in
> reference to iPhones. What about an Android phone would require
> "jailbreaking"?

If you want root access and you don't have a dev phone then you'll
have to jailbreak it. AFAIK, currently this seems to involve flashing
with a new rom image.  Probably the new image lacks whatever mechanism
google has in place for authorization to download copy protected apps.
 If a customized os with root access could download apps from the
store, they could copy and redistribute them.  Therefore, dev phones
can't download copy protected apps.

Shawn