Re: [tlug] Hardware Recommendations?

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 1:03 AM, Lyle H Saxon<llletters@example.com> wrote:
> My main computer died - no BIOS screen, but it has power... it seems
> that either the CPU or mother board is toast.

After several tries with the same result, the machine actually booted
again, but having a history of gremlins, I've replaced that machine
with a better designed one.  As for what was the problem - or at least
what was the main problem, I had a very close look at the old machine
today and this is what I found:

The only air intake is a smallish hole (3-4 centimeter diameter) that
is ducted directly to the CPU.  I wish I had paid closer attention to
this before, as there is not enough venting to provide proper air
flow.  All the air for the entire box thus has to flow through a small
hole and the CPU cooling fins first!

Removing the internal ducting (connecting the air intake hole with the
top of the CPU cooling fan), it was apparent that the cooling fins of
the CPU were partially blocked with dust.  (Since the total hours of
running time were not so high, I hadn't thought there would be that
much of a dust build up, but I hadn't realized that ALL of the air for
the box was flowing through those fins!).  I vacuumed out the dust and
the machine boots, but there is a slight smell of heated (or burned)
electronics inside now, so I think I'll be doing myself a favor to
never again trust that main board with anything critical.

I also had a close look at (and feel of) the capacitors, but they all
seem in good shape with no evidence of bulging or leaking.

>From here out, I aim to always pay very close attention to air flow in
any computer I buy!

Lyle