Re: [tlug] Please advice for a new equipment components under Linux

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:21:58PM +0900, Pietro Zuco wrote:
> boards and ATI cards one of the best supported.

It depends on your needs but Intel graphic cards are recently pretty
well supported by open source drivers[0].  Careful though, the very
latest chipsets seem not to have a driver yet, but I don't have first
hand experience with that[1].

For ATI cards, Linux support is getting better. There are the radeon and
radeonhd drivers for Xorg which support a good range of cards but good
3D and even xvideo support are a long way to come (at least for
radeonhd[2]).
I have this:
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series
a little bit more than one year old and somewhat supported by radeonhd.
I used radeonhd for a while since the closed source driver doesn't
support full HD while the free one does but then switched to the closed
source to have 3D and decent video playback.

For Nvidia you have not much choice, you have to go with closed source
drivers. Well, not entirely true but I'm quite sure the new nouveau
driver[3] is not quite ready for prime time and anyway you don't want to
spend to much time mocking around with building/debugging/re-building
stuff.

Last but not least, in terms of closed source drivers I honestly can't
say which one is better for intensive usage.

ciao

[0]: http://www.x.org/wiki/IntelGraphicsDriver
[1]: http://mjg59.livejournal.com/111853.html
[2]: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd