Re: [tlug] UQ WiMAX, other ubiquitous internet access, and Linux laptops

Hello,

I believe some people already posted saying EMobile works without
problem on linux, I'll give you also my own experience & blog article I
wrote about it:

http://blog.magicaltux.net/2009/06/21/3g-in-japan-with-emobile-on-linux/

Never tested Willcom's service, so I won't be able to compare it to
EMobile, however I noticed that EMobile at home on the evening it was
quite slow, however on the morning I could reach better speeds (used
emobile at home before I got internet connected).

If you can drop by kichijōji, I can show you how it works and do some
tests (traceroute, ping, etc). Got a linux (gentoo) laptop I use with
the emobile key, without any problem.

Also I don't see why you couldn't just make a driver for the wimax usb
or pcmcia key. The way the usb device itself works can be analyzed from
usb logs on windows, and an attempt to contact the constructor for specs
might even be successful (we shouldn't hope too much on that one).

If here in a japanese LUG we don't make drivers for japanese stuff, who
will?

Mark