Re: [tlug] Rsync exclusion question

2009/6/11 Doug McLean <dmclean635@example.com>:

> By using single-quotes, the shell would defer interpolation of the
> file-exclusion to the rsync command itself.  In other words, defer and
> let rsync sort things out, which is as it should be.

Well, I am definitely missing something about how interpolation works,
since I cannot reproduce the expansion of the * wildcard. I'm fairly
certain I've been bitten by this at some point, however, and that is
why I started always single-quoting * and ?.

I think the Best Practise to always use non-interpolating quotes
unless you know you need interpolation is the way to go. That way, you
don't need to understand the interpolation rules of your programming
language all the way down to the metal.

--
Cheers,
Josh