Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan

Le mercredi 10 juin 2009, JC Helary a écrit :
> creatures (sweeping generalization warning). They don't need to be
> told they'll be punished if they don't obey because they know they
> will. It is not (only) their sempai at school that will scold them for
> a-social behavior, but the dokyusei will not approve and the teachers
> neither.

Hi J.C.,

Transports in France around the Roaring Twenties were clean and safe too.[1]

Thinking in your way;

The mechanism of sanction only works when people have the feeling they can't
avoid it, even if the punishers isn't aware or present. Once the punishment
is only related to the punisher, it will only work when he's present or could
be aware of what you're doing. True from wildlife animals to human's
religions.

Japan is still a mutual obedience enforcement society, where everyone can
trigger a sanction, even if it's just an attitude or remark [2].

But it's hard to tell if the french nowadays behaviour came initially from
school or home rules relaxation, both around the sixties.

[1] Besides, Japanese subways have the best information panels I've ever seen.
[2] No sanction for being here "Off topic", eh ? :)

Francois