Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

> What you haven't explained is why running like an Olympic athlete
> correlates with the behavioral needs of a "difficult child."

Because that is the task they assigned to the children and the
childrens' job is follow the instructions of the intructor in
painstaking detail.

> assume that your behavioral expert, then, is not a trained running
> coach, and probably has other goals in mind than survival in the pack
> on the second leg of the 2021 Hakone Ekiden.

No, the issue is whether the child will follow the instructions as
given for whatever task they happen to be on.

> So it really that
> important that your child not "crash"?

Yes it is.  If he does, the whole group will stop and my child will be
questioned on what the intstructions were, why they didn't follow the
instructions, what to do next time and the whole group will retry the
task.   It is a key issue to the group making progress.

> Does this generalize to other
> children in the class, or should your child get individualized
> treatment in this particular case?

Yes, all children have to follow the same rules, and all children will
get individualized instructions as needed.

>  I would say that contradicting the instructor in front of the
> other parents is not being cooperative.

Maybe so,  but the instructions given to my child caused problems for
the whole group.  Even a little bump made everyone stop and redo the
task. I was cooperating with the parents by requesting instructions
that would enable the group to be successful.  I am sure as I can be
that the parents recognized that.  I was just a little surprised that
the instructor resorted to claiming that I don't speak enough Japanese
to understand.

In hindsight, perhaps a private comment would have been better.