[tlug] [TLUG] Rsync exclusion question

Hello all,

I have a niggling question that I hope someone here can help resolve.
At work I have a document repository system that has a master-slave
setup. The slave hosts are set to use 'rsync' periodically to grab the
latest files from the master host.  The overall design is fairly
Doug^H^H^H idiot-proof except for one issue.  The repository system
uses .lease files for edits to the documents.  These are temp files
that are submitted to the real document once the user submits his
changes.  So the .lease files come and go often.

The problem is is that if an rsync runs during this time, it will flag
errors because it saw the .lease file but the file is gone by the time
is tries to sync the file.

I thought I could simply add a --exclude="*.lease" flag in the rsync
command, based on Google searches, and personal tests, but that
doesn't seem to work still.

Have I overlooked something obvious?  Am I always doomed to annoying
"rsync error" cron emails?  Will Steph and Robert ever fall in love,
or will war keep them separated forever?

Stay tuned.

--
Doug McLean

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/