Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan

On mercredi 10 juin 09, at 13:10, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

but its accounting rules *are* unique, and they are uniquely obfuscatory.

Maybe, but I am pretty sure that is not what Kerr meant. I don't have the book anymore so I can't check, but maybe it's time for me to check it again.

Anyway, what _I think_ triggered my refusal to read any further was that (I seem to remember that) he claimed that unorthodox practices (as in "not like in the _rest of the world_" unorthodox) allowed Japanese organization to be incredibly inefficient while being allowed by the system to maintain a facade of unquestioned efficiency. When that was exactly what was happening at the time in the US with all the bogus accounting uncovered by the Enron/Worldcom/etc scandals that led to the Sarbanes-Oxley act. But the situation in the US was not limited to accounting practices either. The power grid system in California was also working totally erratically for reasons that would not be foreign at all in a Japanese context.

Besides for that I have no doubts that Kerr loves Japan. He loves it so much that he's preferred to take a leave and stays most of the time in Thailand now from what I've heard. His Chiiori project is doing much better now that when I first saw it 10 years ago too, so maybe some Japanese people are slowly coming to their senses... I don't know. I wish that is the case, but I doubt with the current political clowns that are in power (or about to join the club) Japan will profoundly change.

Jean-Christophe Helary