Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:13, Stephen J. Turnbull<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Clemens Schwaighofer writes:
>
>  > > This basic pattern [of the native speaker snowing the foreigner
>  > > with difficult language] probably happens in every second
>  > > language context.
>  >
>  > Well, no, english is my second language and I feel quite confident
>  > that even if some snot comes and tries to push me off with some high
>  > level english I smart enough and know the language good enough to
>  > fight back.
>
> Yes, that works tolerably well in English.  But be careful: if you
> think in terms of "fight back" in Japanese, you've already lost to
> that kind of person.  You need to maintain the "wa", or you'll lose
> support of other Japanese.

Well, I am not here since yesterday, I work know as the lone gaijin in
a japanese company, I know the rules, I learn how circumvent them,
bend them, ... but you never change them :)

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com