Re: [tlug] Android in Japan at last?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Alexander Danilov writes:
>  > > SD cards.  I could understand 2GiB (32-bit ssize_t) or 4GiB (32 bit
>  > > size_t), but 1GiB?[1]
>  >
>  > It is very interesting. I use Zaurus SL-C3100 with 16G SDHC card(Debian).
>  > What firmware do you use for SL-C3000?
>
> Whatever it came with; I need the handwritten character recognition,
> and last I checked no non-Sharp firmware could access that.  Sharp may
> have upgraded at some point, I haven't checked.

In my opinion the handwritten character recognition was the only
software component that sharp got right.  All the other software was
inferior to what was available on other similar devices at the time.

To my knowledge, all the major alternative firmware ended up using X
rather then the fb qte thing that came we the sharp firmware.  I think
the fb qte was a major mistake by Sharp,  latter version of X produced
equivalent performance and supported a lot more software.  Sticking to
2.4 kernels was also a big mistake.  The 2.6 kernels performed better
and the kernels were  actually maintained.  They did initially have
stability problems but they could have been easily resolved by Sharp
developers with access to the hardware specs.

Edward