Re: [tlug] SSD filesystem

Le mercredi 3 juin 2009, Kyle Hasegawa a écrit :
> Seems everyone has an opinion on which filesystem and settings are best
> for an SSD drive.  Some say journaling filesystems like ext3 will wear
> out the drive sooner though opponents argue that failure from
> overwriting is exaggerated.  Others recommend ext4 to get even better
> performance out of a high speed SSD.
Hi,

That's still a discussion for getting maximum performance and reliability from
a device where the blocks wear levelling is mainly optimized for FAT or NTFS
filesystems.

Some people are waiting for devices allowing raw access to flash memory, able
to shortcut the wear levelling algorithms. Emerging SDD filesystems are still
relying on an "unknown strategy" for wear levelling, and have no way to
implement their own :/

But maybe someone here has heard of new SSD hardware, *nix fs friendly.

I guess your ext4/ext3results will differ depending on the hardware used (also
SLC/MLC), and comparison is even more difficult with the RAM embedded ones.

Francois