Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

Josh Glover writes:
 > 2009/6/5 Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com>:

 > > I think the problem is that we have too much invested in our own
 > > countries and cultures to look objectively at others.  Until you
 > > can get past that, reading about how things are will just confirm
 > > your opinions and prejudices, and make it harder to listen and
 > > understand.

To each his own.  A lot of people are that way.  Some of us are not.
In my own case, I tend to respond very competitively in a back-and-
forth context (cf the parent thread), and it takes a lot of effort and
time (in the case of one workplace conflict, years and a job change on
the part of my antagonist) for me to step back in that kind of
context.  But in a "me book, you reader" one-way context, I'm much
better at looking at *both* the book and my reactions to it
dispassionately.

 > So far we agree. The only quibble I have with what you are saying is
 > that I don't think it is valuable to dissuade people from reading
 > books before they are "ready" for them.

I think it depends on the person.  Some people should read the book
after seeing the movie, and others the other way 'round.