Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

On vendredi 05 juin 09, at 01:01, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

I look around me and I see "Cut 1000 yen" signs on *every* shop's door.

Well, in my neighbourhood, I pay ¥5000 for a shampoo, a hair cut, and a nice chat. But I could do that myself too, I have a バリカン here. It cost me ¥3000 and I've used it about a 100 times already, so that's ¥30 a hair cut. I'd have to get a plane ticket to pay that little in China. It's a choice. And Chinese people can't cook French people's bread. And Uniclo is going to be out-branded by a new shop that gets its cheap workforce from Cambodia because China is too expensive now (like Gap does). I guess when we'll all have reached the same level, we'll need a few nukes here and there to add a little bit of differential...

I suggest you use your "mobility" to take a job in a soon to close GM plant and get your UAW card to see how it feels. Maybe it will be less boring and un-fluent than those silly academic meetings where you can't even discuss how brilliant AIG's bosses are.

http://www.slate.com/id/2219599/

Jean-Christophe Helary