Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

2009/6/4 Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com>:

> Josh Glover wrote:
>
>> Edward Middleton wrote:
>>
>>> I was suggesting something far more heretical,  i.e. don't bother
>>> studying such things until you can temper them with experience.
>>
>> Taking this to its logical conclusion, shouldn't we all wait until
>> we're in our 30s to go to university?
>
> That would be a straw man[1].

Disagree.

> The point was in regard to experiencing how "Japan is" before reading about how "Japan is".

Why should we read and learn about how "software engineering is"
before experiencing it?

> I think with any culture, coming with strong expectations about how things are will be
> blinds you to actually looking and learning.

Of course it does. Maturity is all about realising that you don't know
as much as you thought, and that a lot of what you know is flat out
wrong.

So read as much as possible, and expose yourself to all these ideas.
Form opinions, and just realise that you'll have to change your mind.

--
Cheers,
Josh