Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

optimism, more than mobility I'd say.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:35 PM, JC Helary <brandelune@example.com> wrote:

On jeudi 04 juin 09, at 13:00, Edward Middleton wrote:

> Well job mobility and financial security are two different things.
> Would his advice be better if he didn't have financial security?

I think the people depicted in "Nickel and Dimed" are more apt to
discuss what "mobility" _really_ means.

Remember the thread about language and experience ? I don't see why
that does not apply to the economy. Although I have no doubt that
ending in a tenured position in a Japanese university is a proof of
great mobility for a US (or other non-Japanese) citizen...

Besides, how does US "mobility" compare to other economies ? I'd be
surprised to see such a gap in mobility stats. But then, the stats
keep surprising me when it comes to offering "facts" to support bogus
theories.

I am convinced that the US ability to recover from whatever crisis has
nothing to do with mobility. I am convinced that has more to do with
the world accepting to lend a huge amount of cash to the US since the
end of the gold standard. I am convinced it has more to do with the
fact that the US was not heavily touched by neither WWI nor WWII, and
benefited greatly from doing business with both sides until that was
not politically sustainable anymore (and even then...).

Jean-Christophe Helary