Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

On jeudi 04 juin 09, at 10:39, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Busting the UAW, however, can do nothing but
good for the U.S. economy.

Busting a union good for the economy ? That's news to me...

It's not the UAW that put the US economy on its knees. It's the "free market, free money" nutheads in the banks and financial institutions that did. They should be busted. And Geithner first.

 People like to knock GM, but I'd like to
point out that they did a sufficiently good job of generating revenue
that not only could they put up those obscene towers in Detroit, but
they could pay $70/hr in direct compensation (wage + benefits) to the
*average* worker.  And this insanity has been going on for half a
*century*.

Insanity to pay workers decent wages when there is not social safety network around ?

You are not comparing what the Japanese State invests in public education/health etc to what the US State does are you ? It seems about fair that workers get what they need to cover for the State deficiency...

Jean-Christophe Helary