Re: [tlug] SSD filesystem

dave@example.com wrote:
Phillip Tribble <ptribble@example.com> writes:

Kyle Hasegawa wrote:

Seems everyone has an opinion on which filesystem and settings are best
for an SSD drive.  Some say journaling filesystems like ext3 will wear
out the drive sooner though opponents argue that failure from
overwriting is exaggerated.  Others recommend ext4 to get even better
performance out of a high speed SSD.

Please check out NILFS (developed by NTT) :
http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=202

Coincidentally, this article on NILFS was just published:

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7345/2/

Dave

NILFS sounds cool.  I'm especially interested in that snapshot feature, which sounds a lot like what ZFS has.  The linux-mag post does mention the limited write life of SSD and says that they're working on some new algorithms.  Perhaps the problem is not as trivial as some make it out to be.

Pardon my inexperience but how do you install an OS on a file system that it doesn't ship with.  Do you have to build custom install media?

Kyle
@kylehase