Re: [tlug] (OT) The enigma of Japan (was: UNIX jobs on TLUG)

 Same with listening, which is by far the hardest
skill to acquire.

Actually, I believe that, in Japanese at any rate, this is the easiest skill to acquire. At least that was my experience from observing other students while studying in Kyoto. Even the really lazy ones could eventually get the gist of what they were being told, but had a very hard time expressing themselves effectively. After that was reading, and by far the hardest seems to be writing.

By the way, I agree with most of the things you have written (especially the bit about swallowing your pride and making mistakes, that is the key to success in many things). I just wanted to point out this one thing.

Cheers,
Sach