Re: [tlug] Sony NWD-W200 on Linux

Birkir,

Sony used to be notorious for needing special software to connect their devices, but have improved a lot in recent years. Your friend is probably okay, but it's well worth testing first.

I have a Sony video camera which shows up in Ubuntu as a USB hard drive. When I bought it, I had done what Mattia suggests, which was to take my Ubuntu laptop down to the store and gave it a go on the spot. The staff looked at me a little askew for having this weird an unknown type of computer, but ultimately they didn't seem to mind me testing things.

By the way, I have bought 2 Cowon iAudio players, because they support more file formats (OGG and others), and even mention Linux support on their web site (or did around the time I looked). They have been very free of hassle. I know the big brand names are hard to beat, but I thought I'd mention it.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G