Re: [tlug] UNIX jobs on TLUG (was: Database frontend in Linux)

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> 2009/6/1 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
>
>> Only if you've got near-human intelligence reading the pages.  It's
>> trivial for human to recognize spam (with a few exceptions, such as
>> Unix-related job postings to TLUG, some of which are spam but most of
>> which are at worst misguided).  It is not so easy for machines.
>
> I'm the near-human intelligence reading the Unix-related job postings
> to TLUG. ;)
>
> Seriously, WRT to job postings, I usually err on the side of OT, as
> long as the postings are formatted decently and I know the person
> posting the spec. I figure any recruiter who is willing to take my
> feedback into consideration is a cut above. Obviously, TLUG has a good
> relationship with a few recruiters, and a few of us have gotten jobs
> we like through their services.
>
> Not what this thread was about, of course, but I thought my opinion on
> these matters might interest some.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Josh

Since the question has come up, I do wonder for some of us in IT who
would *like* to work in Japan (currently working elsewhere), what are
the recommended steps to finding a good job?  For my part, my wife is
Japanese, we have family in Kanagawa, and my language skills, while
weak, are improving through study.  That coupled with prior long-term
IT experience leads me to hope that even in a bad economy a few IT
jobs available to 外国人 are available.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

--
Doug McLean