Re: [tlug] Two keyboards, two layouts: udev likely part of the solution

Josh Glover wrote:

> 2009/4/25 jep200404 <jep200404@example.com>:
> > I think udev is pretty cool stuff now.
>
> As do I, which is why I will say:
>
> > If you already know the magic commands to execute when a
> > particular USB keyboard is plugged in, then getting udev to
> > do those commands is no big deal if I recall correctly.
>
> I know how to make udev do stuff when it sees my keyboard, it is the
> magic commands to set a layout for only one keyboard that I need help
> with.

Bugger. I can't help you figure out the magic commands.
At least the issue is clarified.

> > If there is some crumb of info from lsusb that means UK, US,
> > or JP keyboard, then you could have a more general solution.
>
> lsusb is useless for this, but I can ask the Linux keyboard driver for
> some stuff that I think will help.

Just post the output of lsusb. Maybe I or somebody else will see
something interesting. It's likely that you'll be able to
distinguish your particular keyboards for udev to act upon,
by using the vendor and product IDs. That would not be the nice
general solution, but it could definitely solve the udev rule part of
_your_ situation. If the bCountryCodes are good, then you might
have a general solution.

> > I hoped that the bCountryCode would be interesting,
> > but mine is a boring 0.
>
> Knowing what I know about the history of computing, I wouldn't be
> surprised if that boring 0 means boring US. ;)

33 means US; 0 means that there is no localization (i.e., kind of implies US).
15 means Japan (Katakana); 32 means UK. [1]

[1] pp 32-33 of www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/HID1_11.pdf