Re: [tlug] Bourne / bash problem

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Dave Brown <dagbrown@example.com> wrote:
>> > somewhere, I cannot escape the end-of line:
>> >    [...]
>> >    a-command \
>> >    # a comment \
>> >    another-command  #  another comment \
>> >    [...]
>> >
>> > Do you think there would be a way to include comments in such a situation?
>
> Verified as not working in bash in my own experimentation.  It would
> seem there's no way of interspersing comments with parameters, except
> possibly by (ugly) assigning them to variables and commenting that.

Thanks to all.

I eventually preferred to "sed" my whole set of commands (assuming there
is no "#" character used for anything else that comments). This seems more
readable than the "echo" tricks for me. I  also avoid the need of "\" at the
end of lines.

Something like:
(
sed -e 's/#.*//' -e 's/$/\\/' << _EOF