Re: [tlug] Kubuntu -- KDE4 Removed: SOLVED (!)

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 03:59:15PM +0900, CL wrote:
> CL wrote:
>
> > Today's Kubuntu upgrade completely stripped KDE 4.2 from my AMD machine
> > and will not allow me to reinstall it.  It says there are hardware
> > issues or that _my_ vendor has chosen not to support it ... I cannot
> > find any specific message that tells me which is the case.

No clue on how kubuntu presents you the changes it will do
or if you run some 'automatically upgrade everything that
comes up' thing, but on debian at least i get a notice when
some big stuff is about to be removed - bevore acknowleding
that change.

Reminds me that i hesitate to play with software involving
many packet-changes (like installing kde4) or with interactions
unknown to me (setting up scim for japanese input)
on linux installations i use daily.
Should rsync the system to an unused partition and play from
there.

Upgrade-procedure on Opensolaris with ZFS nowadays can in-
clude zfs snapshots and reverting to those in case something
goes wrong, nice idea.

Christian