[tlug] Kubuntu -- KDE4 Removed

Today's Kubuntu upgrade completely stripped KDE 4.2 from my AMD machine and will not allow me to reinstall it. It says there are hardware issues or that _my_ vendor has chosen not to support it ... I cannot find any specific message that tells me which is the case.

I am being reminded of all the reasons I hate Gnome, but do not have time to strip my HDD and do a complete reinstall. And, no, I don't have a recent image because ... well ... I was making changes and I wanted to include all of them in one backup ... ;-(

Short of crushing the box and starting over with new equipment, anyone have a suggestion for how to find out what is wrong?

--
CL