Re: [tlug] How to setup MMS for Softbank mobile-phones ?

Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 14:00, John Fremlin <john@example.com> wrote:
Godwin Stewart wrote:
On 21/03/09 09:41, Leon Zhang wrote:

   Hey, I bought a Nokia e71 to replace my old Softbank mobile-phone.
I love this E71, because I can use Wireless-LAN. But, I don't know how
to setup the Multimedia Message access point for softbank. Is there
anybody can kindly give me some suggestions ?
Your best bet is to call your mobile operator (or visit their website) and
have them send you the settings via SMS.
That is extremely unhelpful advice.

Softbank refuse to hand out the settings. As far as I know, it is a
matter of policy.

<snip>

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to use MMS or SMS in Japan?
I have to yet meet anyone here using it.

Everybody uses MMS. When you send an "email" from (many) keiteis it is sent over MMS, and if it is to another keitei then it is delivered over MMS.

The MMS transport will use SMS to send a short notification to the recipient phone indicating that a message should be fetched. The phone will then fetch the message (over MMS/HTTP).

The problem with Softbank is that they refuse to let you use MMS over HTTP unless you set your HTTP User-Agent to one they explicitly allow.