Re: [tlug] Long-term Stability Distros (was: Flash and Firexfox 2)

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 23:36, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/13 Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com>:
>
>> I changed to Debian for exactly the same reasons you are describing.
>> Well, that and dependency Hell. I've heard that dependency Hell doesn't
>> happen anymore on Red Hat based distros,
>
> As long as there are dependencies, there will be Dependency Hell. The
> real question is, does your distro give you tools for dealing with it?
> I find Debian / Ubuntu just as frustrating as Red Hat (and other
> RPM-based distros). Gentoo and other source-based distros do a better
> job, simply because they give you compile-time control over what
> dependencies you choose to accept, as long as the source builds
> themselves have reasonable configuration scripts.

In my 7 years of Debian usage, and I have two servers that are almost
6 years with the same debian/testing tree, I never *never* had
dependencies problems.

I do have them in redhat. All the time. With everything. Everytime I
want/have to upgrade some minor package it is a walk through fire ...

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com