Re: [tlug] Chance to make a convert

On 2009-03-16 at 08:46:14, Dave M G wrote:
>I have a friend who owns a Macbook 2.16 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.
>
>Her hard drive has enough space for it, so my intention is to install
>Ubuntu in there as a third option with "Boot Camp".
>
>Bottom line is that I have never installed Linux into a Mac before.

There are specific instructions for different models of MacBook. You can
go here to find them:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam/CommunityHelpPages

If that isn't adequate, Google "ubuntu macbook" for more.

As for triple booting, i'd recommend Googling for combinations such
as "ubuntu macbook triple boot". But pay attention to the dates on any
posts you find; i saw some instructions from 2006 that to me seemed
overly cumbersome with a modern Ubuntu.

Personally, my suggestion would be to explore the idea given by someone
else to run a virtual machine. If you aren't doing anything that
requires the direct hardware access (such as accelerated 3D graphics or
ripping audio CDs), a VM might be a simpler way to go. For the Windows
installation i'd definitely recommend a VM; i've run Windows on a
MacBook by way of Parallels and it works quite well. Multi-booting is a
hassle not worth dealing with, in my experience.