Re: Long-term Stability Distros (was Re: [tlug] Flash and Firexfox 2)

2009/3/13 jep200404 <jep200404@example.com>:

> Jim Breen wrote:
>
>> I'm quited pissed off with the way Fedora changes releases
>> so quickly and shuts off updates.
>
> Yup. Red Hat is quite mercenary about this. It's a very important
> part of their business plan to drive folks to paying for the
> stability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).

Just to throw a data point out there for corporate sysadmins, I have
to admit that RHEL is pretty good, if you are paying for the support.
Red Hat is *very* responsive to bug reports on RHEL.

>There are several free recompilations of RHEL, the most popular of which is Centos.

Amusingly enough, I use Centos yum repositories to install software on
my RHEL developer desktops, as they have more yums than the official
RHEL repos. So I can speak to RHEL <-> Centos compatibility.

--
Cheers,
Josh