Re: [tlug] Freedom is not just for software [was: Open-source Japan]

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
david.blomberg writes:
> > > in the S&L crises in the US and Japan, Congress pushing hard to get
> > industry to lend to subprime borrowers in the current mess). It's not
> > clear that *any* of them would have happened if the market had been
> > left to its own devices.
> > > You are aware that this failed the laugh test. > > A few years ago I sat in on a investment seminar.

Which has everything to do with fraud and nothing to do with the macro
mess, AFAICS.
you don't see them as linked?
It's one thing to take down a few hundred thousand
small borrowers or investors. It's another to bring the whole world
economy to its knees. They busted another pyramid scheme here with
over 50000 members a couple weeks ago, but it's not a threat to the
economy. Neither are the "ore, ore" scammers. In all the mentioned
but you start taking these collectively and and if the banks see it as enough to stop credit to businesses who rely on revolving credit to stay in operations now you have a cycle big enough to take down the economy.
(actually I really hate revolving credit as a means for a business to stay afloat, but it seems to be the way businesses operate)
cases above it's a matter of historical record that the government was
pushing in the wrong direction.
I am skeptical of this point. Yes you could make the case that SOME politicians do push this way. The government in general and the laws however seem to have previously been made to keep this kind of activity down. The deregulation push seems to have come from market side not the government side.
It's my claim that the private sector
would have had a hard time creating such a mess without government
help.
I have the utmost confidence in the private market to screw things up. (the government as well) But this seems mostly a case for greater regulation/transparency to make sure all sides play fair and clean.