Re: [tlug] Back up files permissions, groups, owners

Basically, if my computer explodes and I'm restoring from my backup drive,
I just want to be able to copy all the contents into my home directory and roll
with it.

Should I preserve owner, permissions, and/or group settings on the file? Is it
fine the way it is? Is this not an issue I need to think about?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for any advice.

-- Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G

David,

Unless you are totally uncomfortable doing so.
The -a (archive) option is meant specifically for what you
are describing.

What I suggest is make a very simple directory
structure ( a couple of levels deep) and put some files
in it. Then experiment with using the rsync with -av
(-v for verbose) options to understand how the command works.
The man (i.e. manual) page for rsync is very comprehensive
and in and of itself is somewhat of a tutorial.

The individual who replied describing the scenario of
rebuilding the system wasn't accurate. The UID and GID
associated with a user aren't contained in /etc/shadow but
rather /etc/passwd. /etc/shadow relates to security oriented
attributes of a user account and is not readable by most
applications. However /etc/passwd is meant to have world
read access for use by applications and provides the user and
group ID mapping.

Also, having a mismatch of UID/GID (due to those potentially
being different on a rebuilt system) isn't the "...the only
thing that can bite you..." as mentioned in that other reply in
regards to a system rebuild. I strongly recommend backing up
at least /etc and potentially other system areas. It is also
good to capture the output of some system commands for
reference. That way, you have information which could be helpful in
configuring the new system similar to the previous one.

Mike