[tlug] Re: Pretty Japanese font for latex-cjk beamer presentation

Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> writes:

>> The Japanese font is quite ugly and any suggestions to improve it would
>> be welcome! I don't read Japanese and have no experience with CJK latex.
>> http://john.freml.in/static-blog/shibuya-talk-cl-irregsexp/talk.pdf
>
> The Japanese looks pretty good to me in Acrobad Reader with the Japanese
> font packs installed. From the size of the file (121K), I'm guessing
> that there's no embedded font. I'm suspecting that this is a problem with
> your system fonts, rather than the PDF.

The font *is* embedded I think.

$ pdffonts talk.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
NNEHGD+CMSS12                        Type 1            yes yes no      46  0
CUTTMV+dmjkd                         Type 1            yes yes no      47  0
SPAUBF+dmjkg                         Type 1            yes yes no      48  0
NBEJDH+dmjhira                       Type 1            yes yes no      49  0
NDNPHL+dmjkl                         Type 1            yes yes no      50  0
IPZABE+dmjkb                         Type 1            yes yes no      51  0
LNDPRA+dmjkf                         Type 1            yes yes no      52  0
STHZME+dmjkj                         Type 1            yes yes no      53  0
MUWJHX+CMSS10                        Type 1            yes yes no      54  0
WOMSYA+CMSS8                         Type 1            yes yes no      55  0
MENDSF+dmjkata                       Type 1            yes yes no      95  0
CAAPAG+dmjkk                         Type 1            yes yes no      96  0
THLXQD+CMSY10                        Type 1            yes yes no      97  0
TQJWSG+dmjkh                         Type 1            yes yes no      98  0
CEORAQ+dmjki                         Type 1            yes yes no      99  0
FFYAPD+dmjke                         Type 1            yes yes no     100  0
SGASVL+dmjka                         Type 1            yes yes no     101  0
JQKQMF+dmjsy                         Type 1            yes yes no     102  0
ZIERGL+CMSSBX10                      Type 1            yes yes no     129  0
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no     182  0
Helvetica-Bold                       Type 1            no  no  no     183  0

The problem is that it looks like Chinese font. Maybe it is difficult to
tell if you are not accustomed to Japanese, but seeing as I would rank
my Japanese ability as below that of anybody else in this group I am
relying on the input from the conference organisers and my boss.

It is the CJK Latex "min" font family.

Otherwise, I seem to only be able to use the goth font (which is rather
too gothic) and the maru font family, which is overly Korean(?).

I guess Ubuntu doesn't ship a pretty Japanese font for CJK Latex? Any
suggestions welcome!

[...]