Re: [tlug] Open-source Japan

On Mar 5, 2009, at 11:03 AM, Edward Middleton wrote:

Gen Kanai wrote:
On Mar 3, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Noah Watkins wrote:
I was recently reading the slides, 'Open-source in China', from
O'Reilly's OSCON 2008. And it got me to thinking about what the state
of open-source in Japan is. Hopefully some people on this list who
are in the trenches can chime in on the topic.

I've been tracking this topic pretty regularly via my blog:

http://blog.mozilla.com/gen/2008/07/16/significant-linux-contributors-from-japan/

If you are looking at acceptance of Open-source in Japan, looking purely
at contributions distorts things because there seems to be a lot more
Open-source consumers who don't contribute back to the projects they
use. When I purchased a Japaneses car navigation system it came with a
laundry list of open source licenses. I don't believe the vendor had
directly contributed to any of the projects these licenses applied to.

I agree completely.

Look at the new Sony VAIO P, which ships with a Linux "quick boot" partition and Firefox loaded on that.

Certainly a lot of consumer electronics, mobile phones, run Linux.

That said, I do think that contributions are one metric to look at, and within that metric, Japan contributes more than any other Asian nation.

gen