Re: [tlug] Open-source Japan

Josh Glover wrote:
> 2009/3/4 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
>
> I think it comes down to this (which a wise, bearded man once told me):
>
> "I don't see *why you demand higher standards of the market than you do
> of society itself*, which does a demonstrably terrible job of fostering
> honesty."

Because when the markets screw the pouch[1] we all end up in the ...

Why is it unreasonable to demand higher standards (i.e. requiring
adequate honest disclosure) in the markets then we would expect of
society in general?  The consequences of failure are far greater.  To
believe higher standards would be achieved with little or no oversight
seems to be demonstratively flawed.

Edward

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwed_the_Pooch