Re: [tlug] Open-source Japan

2009/3/4 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:

> Markets do not cause brain damage.

Maybe not directly, but listening to windbag professors explain why
not certainly does! ;-P

> Really the big "problem" with
> markets is that they create value so prolificly that they attract
> fools back to be fleeced again and again (and fools though they be,
> there is so much value in the market that on average they come out
> ahead!)

Another interesting "feature" (perhaps in the Microsoft sense of the
word, depending on your POV) of markets is that they create value so
prolifically that they attract hucksters back to fleece the fools
again and again.

I'm about as pro-free market as a boy can be, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

I think it comes down to this (which a wise, bearded man once told me):

"I don't see why you demand higher standards of the market than you do
of society itself, which does a demonstrably terrible job of fostering
honesty."

--
Cheers,
Josh