Re: [tlug] Open-source Japan

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Curt Sampson writes:
>  > On 2009-03-03 22:18 +0900 (Tue), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>  >
>  > Unfortunately, it's often less costly to make something look good
>  > than actually to make it good, so there's a pretty strong incentive
>  > to compete by fooling people into thinking they're getting something
>  > they're not.
>
> That is not the fault of the market.  That is a combination of the
> underlying scarcity of information, and people who think that somebody
> else should take care of their needs.

I hope I'm not too off here: that's the ever-present "asymmetry of
information" problem isn't it? We all have more or less information
than the other party in any single situation, nothing strange about
it. In which case, services and industries grow to deliver to fill the
respective gap: various assurance services, informal methods like
branding, etc. Pay more (in various ways) for less risk.