Re: [tlug] Replacing the WM in Gnome 2.24

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:05:54PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> So the issue here may just be that Ubuntu requires "authorization"
> (and that the user be in some appropriate admin group), whereas Fedora
> requires "admin authorization"? Does Fedora have a way of restricting
> users who know the root password from doing admin tasks, a la the way
> BSD systems won't let a user su if there are users in the wheel group
> and that user is not?

Not by default.  You can set it up manually (which I do) by editing
/etc/pam.d/su.  (Uncomment the line under the line that says, "Uncomment
the following line to require users to be in the wheel group" or
something similar.)

You also have to create a wheel group.

And, just in case you were going to ask, there are no packages like
pam_unix2 and the other one (whose name escapes me at the
moment--xcrypt?) to make implementing blowfish trivial.  There was a
feature request on RH bugzilla that was closed as the developer felt the
problem was simply that the default was md5 and that's been changed to
sha512.

Remember, Fedora is only cutting edge with things that excite desktop
users.  Their latest bugzapping thingie was trying to get a 20 second
bootup.  The fact that SuSE has blowfish by default and Ubuntu makes it
trivial are unimportant.   Fedora (we're so cutting edge that we're
usually broken) concentrates on solutions in search of problems.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6