Re: [tlug] Replacing the WM in Gnome 2.24

On 2009-02-21 07:39 -0500 (Sat), Scott Robbins wrote:

> Oops--now I think Wayne meant, by DM, gdm and kdm.

Oh, a display manager! Well.

> If you do set something like [an alternate panel] up, I'd certainly be
> interested in reading about it.

Well, it's not going to happen, since I finally figured out what the heck
the Gnome people were aiming at with their new system, and I'm now happily
running the Gnome session manager, fvwm, gnome-panel, and have banished
nautilus from my desktop. The details are here:

  http://www.starling-software.com/en/blog/sysadmin/2009/02/24.alternate-window-managers-under-gnome-2.24.html

On 2009-02-24 01:19 +0900 (Tue), Nikolay Elenkov wrote:

> From 9 on, Fedora uses PolicyKit ([1]) to grant authorizations to (most)
> GUI apps. The config utility is in
> System->Preferences->System->Authorizations.

Ah, I see. It turns out that Ubuntu 8.10 has this too. Pretty cool, in
some ways.

So the issue here may just be that Ubuntu requires "authorization"
(and that the user be in some appropriate admin group), whereas Fedora
requires "admin authorization"? Does Fedora have a way of restricting
users who know the root password from doing admin tasks, a la the way
BSD systems won't let a user su if there are users in the wheel group
and that user is not?

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com