[tlug] writing japanese top-down right-left in linux

Hello Tlugers,

I wonder what are the options for writing japanese in the direction from
top to down from right to left (ie. traditional japanese way)?

For now I can input japanese using scim and anthy.  Normaly, I use vim
to edit text files. The ideal state would be that I could input japanese
in vim as in subj.  I wonder, if there is a principial problem or
whether there is a hope...?

What are the other options?

Best
Michal