Re: [tlug] Replacing the WM in Gnome 2.24

On 2009-02-20 23:25 -0500 (Fri), Scott Robbins wrote:

> I blush to admit I'm not really familiar with .xsession.  Still, this is
> a bit strange.  If you have fvwm installed, it should see it.

Basically, .xsession is just a shell script that's run after you log
in from GDM or KDM or whatever and the X server is started. It's
responsible for doing whatever setup you need to do (setting the
background colour, starting input methods, etc.) and then, usually,
running the window manager in foreground mode at the end. When the
.xsession script exits, X is shut down and you're logged out.

> AHH---did you install from an rpm or from source?

I used the standard package installer.

> Afterwards, at login, I was able to choose fluxbox.

What, precisely, did you have to do to chose fluxbox? Was there something
on the GDM screen you could select? Or did it happen after login?

With Ubuntu, there's a menu on the GDM screen that lets you select your
preferred session manager/window manager.

> If I understand this now, when you click options or whatever it's
> called, and go to sessions, fvwm isn't available.

I can't find any options menu on the login screen.

> Quick PS--I know you prefer well trimmed posts, but I really wasn't sure
> what to leave out.

No problem; messages are that way, sometimes.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com