Re: [tlug] Replacing the WM in Gnome 2.24

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 12:57:10AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> So you all probably remember my long and ultimately more-or-less
> successful attempt with Ubuntu 8.04 to run gnome-session, kill metacity
> and nautilus, and run fvwm.
>

> What's up with all of this?
>
> While we're at it, Fedora 10 seems to have this odd idea that all users
> of the machine should use the root password for admin tasks, rather than
> their own password (a la sudo). Can this be fixed?

Fedora still uses root rather than sudo by default.  They have disabled,
(by default) root login in gdm.  It's simply a matter of ading yourself
to /etc/sudoers.   (That is, assuming you want what has become more or
less common practice these days.)

Whether they will change it to become more like other systems, I have no
idea.  Right now, they're concentrating their effort on what is really
important, a quick bootup.

They have made the change in F10 of giving normal users the various
/sbin directories in the default $PATH.  So, I suspect they're moving
closer to using sudo by default.  That is only a guess though, the
Fedora developers never cease to amaze.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6