Re: SCIM working! (Was: Re: [tlug] Re: EeePC so far)

2009/2/20 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:
> Jim Breen writes:
>
>  > Done. It made no difference; nothing was written to
>  > /var/log/canna.start.log and canna didn't start.
>
> For future reference, the *creation* of canna.start.log is done by the
> shell when it encounters the redirection "> canna.start.log".

Yeah, I have been aware of that being the process since I started using
Unix, erm, 22.5 years ago....

> Also,
> it may be useful to use a public directory such as /tmp in case
> there's a permissions issue (shouldn't be, but you never know,
> especially with these "let's not scare the user" distros).

なるほど. I can't imagine anyone trying to start a server in user-land
but anything is possible.

>  > Can anyone suggest a boot-time script where I can safely start canna?
>  >
>  > /usr/bin/startx ??
>  > /etc/X11/Xsession ??
>  > /etc/X11/init/initrc ??
>  >
>  > (just picking a few from "ps -ef")
>
> Gag me.  I mean, WTF?

Sorry to cause a conniption. As I mentioned, I'm new to Debian. In
a Red-Hat derived distro I wouldn't have asked, but since I am learning
Debian (etch) with this system I thought it might be good to get things
right at the beginning.

> I would use Xsession.  They're all safe in the sense that if they work
> at all they'll work fine, but normally startx is a user command, and
> /etc/X11/init I've never heard of before.  I wouldn't count on them
> hanging around for the next revision of the OS....

In RedHat-land it is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc   Hmmmm. OK, typos again,
it's the same on the Eeepc. It just starts Xsession.

I'll cut to the chase and see if I can start canna in Xsession.

Hmmm. Didn't work....

Aaagghhh. I think I'll forget about it until next week.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Senior Research Fellow