Re: [tlug] Call for presenters - March 14th technical meeting

Edward Middleton writes:

 > Probably what you were referring to above.  I want to keep everything in
 > a local git repository but be able to pull and push changes to a remote
 > darcs repository.

Pushing to a remote darcs repo can be pretty painful unless you have
ssh privileges there.  You need to be able to run darcs on the
remote.  But in principle it should be possible.

 > > Well, yes and no.  It's not the radical innovation that DVCS is, but
 > > Subversion does many things so much better than CVS by now that it's a
 > > different model.

 > What features do you think make subversion qualify as a completely
 > different model?  Granted, building a versioned filesystem was a rather
 > different approach to implementing a VCS but it seems to be fairly
 > orthogonal to the VCS model.

Atomic commits, for example, allow you to refer reliably to a
Subversion r#### revision.  You can't do that arbitrarily in CVS, you
have to tag.  This makes bisection possible.  Subversion is also
(finally!) getting smart merge capabilities.  svnmerge.py already
provided some, but like most such scripts on top of a separate app it
was a bit finicky.  And of course reliable, fast branching.  Only
people who are willing to really learn the ins and outs of CVS can
successfully branch there.