Re: [tlug] Re: EeePC so far

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 10:59:14PM +1100, Jim Breen wrote:
> 2009/2/9 John Fremlin <john@example.com>:
> > Jim Breen wrote:
> >>
> >> BTW, I though scim would have been installed so it would launch
> >> the daemon at startup. It doesn't.
> >
> > Yes it's very annoying and got me on Ubuntu. Sometimes you need to configure
> > the locales for which scim should start.
> >
> > See im-switch
> >
> > im-switch -z "your locale" -s scim
> >
> > or
> >
> > im-switch -z "your locale" -s scim-bridge
>
> I did the former. It said the right things, but still no sign of life
> from the IM.

what usually does the trick for me is setting
  LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
but honestly I have no idea if this is going to be enough, it usually
takes me a random number of steps to get there.

Just try it from a console:
  LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 uxterm
(uxterm or gedit or gvim, you choose ;))

cheers
--
mattia
:wq!