Re: [tlug] Disabling "Expire Messages" Function in KMail

On 2009-02-06 20:57, CL wrote:
Jim Tittsler wrote:
CL writes:

KMail has this habit of "expiring" read messages ... as in erasing them.

Right click on any folder and configure its "Expire..." properties.

Unfortunately, there is no "shut this feature completely off," choice, only relative levels of pain and the ability to set the time when the pain begins.

That must be a function of the version of KMail. The only version I have readily available is 1.9.10 and it does allow turning that feature off.

Or switch to Sup and buy into the Gmail
disk-space-is-getting-cheaper-faster-than-I-get-email-or-spam
philosophy.

Gmail is good enough for Usenet, but I hate entrusting full copies of things to others with really big HDDs; especially client information.

Sup is a desktop console mode client that embraces and even extends some of the Gmail philosophies about email (searching and tagging trumps folders, never delete anything, make threads into single conversations, etc.). I find it great for some high volume mailing lists.

For most of my mail needs I use the beta version of Thunderbird 3. Its IMAP support is greatly improved over Tbird2, and it is also starting to embrace the "tag/search over folder" mindset.