Re: [tlug] Free WiMax wireless data (40Mbps down) until June

Hi,

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:17:58 +0900
Jim Maricondo <jimbocho@example.com> wrote:

> FYI... 5000 people who sign up between now and 2/15 can become beta
> testers for UQ WiMax wireless data service. Up to 40mbps down.
>
> You can apply here (Japanese):
> http://www.uqwimax.jp/service/application/
>
> They will lend you a USB or PC Card WiMax adapter during the trial
> period. You have to sign up to become a paying member of their
> service after the trial period expires in June. It looks like you
> could just cancel your subscription in June though if you want, just
> as it becomes a pay service (regularly 45000/yen month plus you have
> to buy a 13,000 yen WiMax adapter.)

I was looking forward to the WiMAX announcements so I could get
wireless Internet access on my Nokia N810, but it looks like they're
forcing you to get the USB dongle/PC card. I'm considering signing up
for the trial, but since the end goal is to get my N810 online, I'm not
sure whether it's worth the hassle.

Is it just me or is 45000 yen/month pretty damn expensive?

Thanks for the heads-up!
Mike