[tlug] Japanese in Wine??

OS is Kubuntu 8.10 AMD64.

Since my request for help on configuring my Pioneer TF-FS55M handset went unanswered on three separate fora, I decided to go ahead and just install the maker's WIN driver using WINE.

It would appear that the installation was successful ... except for one tiny little WINE problem ... sucker can't seem to be able to read Japanese or Unicode. I have screen after screen of question marks where kana and kanji ought to be. The end result is that I cannot complete proper configuration.

Does anyone have a clue how to get WINE to be multilingual? As for options, I have WIN XP running E<->J in VBox, but cannot set up the Skype handset nor install the drivers natively ... or so it would seem ... just in case someone has an answer to that issue ...

--
CL