Re: [tlug] programmer competency matrix

Joe Larabell writes:

 > > ... By comparing experience on a resume and the answers to the
 > > matrix, I can tell if someone's rating of himself seems completely out
 > > of whack.
 >
 > Have you done that? I would think a person with an over-inflated idea of
 > their own accomplishments would embellish both thei resume and the matrix.

Sure, but the thing is that you can often detect that when either the
resume is too similar to the matrix (and even if that's not half a
tissue of lies, I misdoubt that Curt is looking for people who only
learn what the job demands!), or claims of what they did are not
supported by the matrix even though they've been prompted (and thus
should know enough to lie effectively).  Of course you can't always
succeed, but Curt frankly admitted that he's looking for instant DQs
here, and I bet you can find plenty of those despite the opportunities
for fudging.

 > After all, that's all you need to know. Will this person, when faced with
 > a problem at Starling, be able to draw on his own experience and the vast
 > pool of data available on the Internet, and come up with an elegant
 > solution even if the problem is not like any he's already solved before.

Well, you also want some assurance that he'll do it in real time.